Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Are you a men-pleaser? (Test yourself)

How do I know if, in anything, I am seeking the praise of men? (20 questions to ask yourself) 1. Why is it I say the things I do? What is the purpose of each thing said? (examine motives) 2. Do I seek constantly to justify my words or actions to other people? 3. How much do I talk about myself? 4. Do I enjoy talking about myself? 5. Am I easily distracted when I'm talking with someone and others walk by? 6. Do I explain something or a situation differently to different people, who don't differ greatly in age or intelligence? 7. Am I less willing to expose my weaknesses to some people who are more admired or respected? 8. Do I justify myself at the expense of others? 9. Do I falsely slander other people to make myself look better? 10. Do I constantly compare myself with other people? 11. Am I ashamed to go somewhere or do something, that's not forbidden in Scripture, because of what others might think? 12. Do I constantly think that other people are looking at me or listening to me? 13. Do I act differently around different individuals or groups of people? 14. Do I think about pleasing other people more than I do about pleasing God? 15. Why do I admire the people I do? 16. Do I feel pressure around certain individuals to perform or do I fear not performing properly? 17. Am I slow to expose my weaknesses, yet quick to assert my strengths? 18. Do I welcome correction and rebuke from anyone at any time in any place that's appropriate? 19. Do I feel like my opinion always has to be heard? 20. Do I constantly seek validation or justification for my words, actions, feelings or desires from other people? *If our answer is yes to any of these questions, then we might be seeking the praise of men. "Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God. " (1 Cor. 4:5)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good and appropriate questions to ask oneself for a proper examination on ones heart with regards to pleasing men. I appreciate the blog and hope that the Lord brings to mind these simple questions often as I look at my heart.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for teaching on this aspect of Peter's life last night at church... I was actually going to ask you to please post your questions! You are gifted, Mr. Calcote, and the Lord used you to edify his bride (specifically me!).

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! 19 out of 20! High Score! Oh wait, I bet this is one of those like golf, where a low score is better.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home